My cat’s eye is watering. It is only one eye. Could this be allergies or something more serious?

Asked by Member 945193 on Feb 8th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

This is a question for your vet. It could be anything, although if it were an allergy or an upper respiratory infection, I would think (I'm not an expert, but I've had numerous cats with eye infections) that it would affect both eyes--although not necessarily. It could be a scratch. Whatever the cause, go to your vet. Untreated eye infections can lead to blindness, and I'm sure you don't want that for your kitty. Go to the vet, and good luck.

Chibi answered on 2/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Barney

My cats get this all the time. I have seven cats. Two of them get it all the time. My vet told me that as long as there is no colored discharge then there is no reason for concern. If the discharge is brown and/or green then you should definitely get your cat checked out by a vet. As long as it is clear you fine, it might just be allergies or drastic changes in temperatures. I find the most of the time my cats get it when the weather changes. Good Luck! :)

Barney answered on 2/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cat's right eye was always watering. I took her to the vet and was told that she had a congenital condition called an "entropion". An entropion is when the lid (usually the lower lid) is turned inward. It can be quite painful and that is why it waters. I'm not saying that this is what is wrong with your cat. I am giving you an example of an eye disorder which needs treatment (usually surgery). Take your cat to the vet and have it checked out to ease your mind (and your kitty's eye problem)!