My cats eye is red and swollen and "gooed" shut. I just noticed his eye was bleeding? Can you plz tell me what this migh

My cats eye is red and swollen and "gooed" shut. I just noticed his eye was bleeding? Can you plz tell me what this might be?

Asked by Member 1025668 on Mar 5th 2011 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Milo

Without knowing more, it could be a lot of things - an injury, upper respiratory infection, calici virus, herpes virus... one thing is for certain, he needs to go to a vet ASAP, especially if it is bleeding. Don't wait on this.

Milo answered on 3/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please get your cat to the vet ASAP! Don't waste any more time! You certainly don't want your cat to lose an eye or his sight. Best to kitty!

Dahlia

Sounds like a case of conjunctivitis, but could be any one of the things the other poster mentioned. Eye infections do not resolve on their own. They MUST be treated with antibiotics (and the correct antibiotics at that), so a vet trip is absolutely necessary. Please also keep in mind that anything involving the eye should be taken very seriously. Infections of the eye can progress very fast and the damage can be irreversible. To make matters worse, eye infections are incredibly painful to the animal. It is believed that they feel similar to having a piece of glass scraping across the eye. Please don't let your little one suffer. There is no home remedy for this, and he MUST see a vet. Even waiting a day can cause serious problems for him. Best of luck!

Dahlia answered on 3/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer