my cat's breath smells like nail polish remover, and he has lost a lot of weight all of a sudden, why?

He is 13 years old and has always been my "fat" cat(I have 8)and now he is so thin(all of a sudden)that he look like a bag of bones. His teeth have turned black and they did so again right after I had them cleaned last year. My vet has no clue why they turned black. The polish remover smell is a new development, roughly 4 or 5 days now, and out comes out of his nose, not his mouth. What can I do?

Asked by Member 1037498 on Jun 16th 2011 in Illness & Disease

Answers

If your vet can not help you with this then you need to find a vet that specializes in cats and get your cat in to see them as soon as possible.

You need to get your cat to a vet ASAP! What you describe is a sign of diabetic ketoacidosis which needs to be treated immediately. Best regards and hope kitty recovers.

The previous poster is right, it sounds like he's developed diabetes which causes rapid weight loss and the smell is from ketoacidosis. This is really serious and he needs to get to a vet asap as his life is in danger but it is treatable. The tooth discoloration is something different - sometimes tetracycline antibiotics can turn teeth black.

The black teeth is a weird one but if your current vet hasn't been able to diagnose his weight loss and current issues then you need to find a new vet. One that deals with cats would be best as they can probably give better and more up to date advice on caring for a cat with diabetes.