My cats ate my birthday flowers from a vase and we only had them out when we were home otherwise they are hidden, but Kumar has thrown up once on saturday and last night a little bit making that awful noise, and my other cat just dry heaved once and that was it. THey seem normal and as far as pooping goes that is normal should i be concerned? or when should i take them in if needed?

Asked by Member 969410 on Mar 29th 2010 in Illness & Disease
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend


  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Izadore (Izzie)

You don't say what kinds of flowers were in the vase, but I know that ivy is one of the poisonous plants and sometimes florists use bits of ivy as an accent in an arrangement. Usually, if a cat has been poisoned, it's not too long after that they begin to drool, vomit, and eventually collapse and die. If it were me and my cats did this, I would immediately contact my vet. If you don't have a vet for your cats, now might be a good time to get one on board for just such events. Without seeing your cats and their behavior and knowing exactly what they ate, and considering that we aren't veterinary professionals here, it's almost impossible for us to know if your cats are in danger or not. If you have any of the flowers left, take them to the vets. You might even want to contact the florist to see exactly what was used in the arrangement so you know what to tell the vet.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on 3/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy (2001-2012)

The ASPCA has good info on their site that shows is plants are toxic or not for dogs and cats

I checked and baby's breath IS toxic

Call an emergency vet/24 hr vet ASAP to see if the vomiting is the only symptom you will see or if it is more dangerous and you need to take them in for treatment.

Sassy (2001-2012) answered on 3/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer