my cats always lick each others buts why is that?

Asked by Member 980231 on Apr 7th 2010 Tagged lick, butts in Behavior & Training

Answers

Secretions from that area may have a salty taste, and most animals crave salt. This could be one reason. If it makes you uncomfortable, remove one from the situation.

Spike

Cats, like dogs, will sometimes sniff each other's rear ends to ascertain the cat's identity (even if they've been living together for years). As for licking, it could be a carryover from the days when they were kittens, and Momcat used to lick their private parts to make them "go" before they were toilet trained. It could be just a variant of grooming each other, which is a sign of affection. Since cats lick their own privates, there are no hygiene problems related to this, UNLESS one cat has parasites (worms, etc.), and the other doesn't. But if they are sharing the same litter box, whatever parasites one cat has will be caught by the other one anyway. Spike is the biggest sniffer in my cat family, but he doesn't lick, as far as I know. Welcome to the wild and wacky world of cats!

Spike answered on 4/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer