My cat won't stop scratching her neck, and one of her claws won't retract...what's wrong?

I don't know what to do - Her wound has been there for a few weeks, and it's getting worse and she's losing more hair because she keeps scratching and licking it. It's nothing really bad, just pink skin with a few red scabs. I put neosporin on the wound today, but she's still licking and scratching.
We recently changed her food, but we changed it back to what it was before in case she was allergic and that was the problem, but she's not showing any improvement.
She's an indoor cat that hasn't had any problems before.
I checked for fleas, and she's got none (we put frontline on her every month too)

I also noticed today that one of her front claws won't retract (not the paw she's been scratching her neck with), which worries me.
This is new, all her claws used to be the same.

Asked by Member 988563 on May 23rd 2010 Tagged neck, scratch, claw, retract in Skin Problems

Answers

Rex

We can only guess what the problem is,but your kitty could have dry skin. The claw not retracting doesn't sound could be a serious problem and so could her skin condition. Maybe she has ringworm. Your kitty needs to go to the vet for an exam and proper diagnosis. He/She could tell you what the problems is and give her medication for the condition. I hope your kitty gets better.

Rex answered on 5/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It could be that your cat is having a reaction to the Front Line. It could be any number of things (ringworm, dermatitis, allergic reaction, etc.). Best thing to do is to take the cat to the vet since the disorder is not improving.

The other posters are exactly right. We are not vets here and cannot (and should not) diagnose what is wrong with your kitty. As much as we'd like to dole out free medical advice, we simply cannot. Skin conditions are very common in cats and they can come from a myriad of things, even something you may have used to clean your carpeting. Your best bet is to take her to her vet, have them do a skin scraping and prescribe some medication that will cure the condition.

Opie

Hi: Definately time to see the vet. If your cat is allergic to Frontline, there are oral flea killing meds that you may want to ask your vet about. You may also have to get an ''Elizabethan'' collar for your cat (also available at the vet) so that she doesn't lick her wound raw. She'll probably hate it - my cat did ;)) but it gives the wound a chance to heal.

Opie answered on 5/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer