My cat won't stop peeing on the bathroom rug!

My 8 year old cat recently starting urinating outside his litter box. When this started (just over 2 weeks ago), it was accompanied by genital licking and the vet diagnosed him with crystals in his urine. He has been on medicine for two weeks now, and seems to be feeling better (is no longer licking himself). Problem is, he still urinates on the rugs (in addition to his litter box). We have laundered the rugs, treated them with enzyme cleaners, and kept his litter box clean, but he continues to soil the rugs. We have had to keep him confined to our one bathroom, so he does not soil the furniture. If this behavior continues much longer, I will need to find him another home. I've taken him back to the vet, but they can't find anything else wrong with him. Please help us!!!

He will pee on anything left in the bathroom - rugs, towels, cat beds - bathroom and rugs have been washed with natures miracle. He uses his litter box if there is nothing else in the bathroom to pee on.

Asked by Member 1115369 on Jun 12th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Delilah is also a "hit and miss " litter box user. She pees on the bathroom rug, but I think that's because at one time the litter boxes were in there and she gets confused. She will also use the tub. She has no urinary tract infection. I believe it's a learned behavior with her. When I clean the bathroom, I use a bleach/water mix or Clorox Clean-up. To prevent her from using the tub, I keep a few inches of water in there. I don't want to rehome Delilah so I just handle it. In extreme cases, when we're having company over and I've just cleaned the bathrooms, I will close the door. Have you replaced the rugs? Sometimes the odor remains, especially in those rugs with rubber backing.

Advise keeping the floor bare and give him a second litter box somewhere else to go in. It could be that his medical problem is not cleared up completely. Crystals can be painful and he may need a pain medication; also be sure to keep him on a canned food diet only - dry food contributes to crystal formation. You'll find good information at catinfo.org