My cat won't stop meowing/whining!!!!

My 8 month old spayed cat, Nala, won't stop meowing. I know the reason is because she wants to go outside but I'm afraid to let her go because I live in an outdoor apartment & she can easily get out & run into the street. We have let her out before, supervised, but she starts to run away from us real fast so we won't catch her & bring her back inside. The only time we let her out is when we hold her out in our balcony but we can't let her roam around there on her own because one time she jumped on the neighbor's roof & wasn't able to get back on the balcony. Any suggestions/ideas on what I can do to make her stop whining & for her to be satisfied with the balcony?

Asked by Member 807661 on Feb 23rd 2009 Tagged meowing, whining in Noisiness

Best Answer

Boris

Honestly, I would harness train her. That way you can impress upon her that the only way she'll ever go outside is if she's harnessed and leashed, which means that you or another human has to go along.

It's a long and hard process, and I had to stop ours because unlike Nala, Boris pretty much had no interest in going outside, so being leashed and taken out was distressing to him. Anyway, if you manage to leash train her, and take her outside, she'll learn that it occurs on specific times, when the human deems it safe. The best way to impress this upon her is to ignore her when she whines to go, and reward her when she's being quiet and waiting for the harness.

I also wonder if she isn't lonely and bored, and that makes going outside seem more appealing. Boris would on occasion try and go out the door just to see what was out there (then he'd promptly go right back inside), but now that he has another cat around, he has even less interest in braving the outdoors by himself.

Boris answered on Feb 23rd.

Answers

I would like to add to Boris' advice and suggest that you "power" play with Nala inside. When she finds that inside can be as much fun with "her people" as outside, she may be satisfied to stay in. There are millions of cat toys in the pet stores. I would also suggest that you get her microchipped just in case she does take off. If she does bolt out and someone finds her, she can easily be "read" and returned to you with a micro-chip.

Lucy Nooner

Is Nala spayed? In addition to the other kitties' suggestions, I would have her spayed if she is not spayed yet. If she is not yet spayed, this may be contributing to her meowing, wanting to be outside, and other behavioral things. If she is already spayed, hopefully the suggestions from the other kitties will help. Take care!

Lucy Nooner answered on 2/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would ignore the meowing and suggest keeping her inside from now on. Once you let her out, then she will beg to go out all the time.

There are many risks that come with letting your cats roam free outside:
- They have a much higher chance of catching diseases and other illnesses such as: Feline Leukemia (FeLV), Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP), Feline Herpes Virus (Rhinotracheitis), Feline Distemper, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV), rabies, tapeworm, ringworm, heart worm, hypothermia and urinary tract infection
- Ingesting chemicals or poisons such as pesticides, home garden products and car/motor products
- Getting fleas or ticks
- Injury/death due to dangerous traffic
- Eating poisonous spiders, insects or plants
- Injury/death due to cruel humans, hunters or neighbors
- Attacks from dogs, other cats or wild animals
- Other accidental injuries
- Getting lost or stolen