My cat won't go into boxes or carriers.

I moved to a new house and have to keep her locked up sometimes, but she won't go into any type of carrier or cage. For now I'm keeping her in a small space in my room, but it takes up too much space. Also if I travel or need to take her to the vet I won't be able to. She's only been to the vet once when I got her spayed and gave her shots. (Which was 6 years ago) Could that be what she's afraid of? Why is she so terrified? Is there anyway I can get her to like them? Has anyone else had this problem?

Asked by Member 1144637 on Dec 10th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Calvin Hemmingway Rinaudo

Hi,

I have had this problem in the past. Try keeping the carrier in the room with her, put some carnip around the carrier or treats in the carrier, keep it out for 4 to 5 days before she needs to go to the vet or a trip. This should help, also clean the carrier and wipe it down to remove the vet smell. best of luck.

Calvin Hemmingway Rinaudo answered on 12/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I've also heard that you can put her food in the carrier to make it a more pleasant place. Let her wander in an out, like Calvin said. If it's an emergency and you HAVE to get her into a carrier, a veteran animal rescue volunteer once showed me that if you put the carrier on it's end with the door side up and open, you can put the cat in head first and by the time they turn around, you've gotten the door closed and the carrier on it's bottom. She really shouldn't be kept in the carrier (or cage) for hours and hours though.