my cat won't eat!

she had surgery (spayed) 3 days ago. I was able to give her pain med. the next day, as instructed, and she seemed fine then. The next day, however, I noticed that she would not eat or drink. She is not on any meds., her behavior seems normal, and she does not appear to be in any kind of pain. She still begs for treats, but as soon as she gets near food, she turns away. she has vomited a couple times (tiny amount of clear liquid) I phoned the vet. yesterday, and they said to try to entice her to eat, and call back monday. She is acting so normal, except for not wanting to eat, and I can't tell if she's used the litter box because there are other cats. Her incision looks good, by the way - no redness or swelling. I am worried sick about her!

Asked by Member 799530 on Feb 1st 2009 Tagged noteating, surgery in Illness & Disease

Answers

Many times it takes a while for the anesthesia to work it's way out of a cat's system, especially in the case of a spay surgery because the cat is under longer than for a neuter. Anesthesia could be making your kitty feel nauseous and the sight of food is making her feel worse. Now would be the time to tempt her with her favorite treat, even if it's tuna, deli turkey or even a little baby food from your finger (jarred turkey, chicken or beef, heated slightly to bring out the scent) Absolutely call your vet tomorrow and tell them your kitty has not eaten since her sugery. They need to tell you more than just to try to entice her to eat--they need to give you suggestions on what to give her and how to entice her.