My cat will only eat his food for a day or so then refuses! I get another brand and he does the same thing! Why?

We have a new baby 8 months old and my cat have changed his eating habits entirely in the last month. He was very sick about a month ago with sever vomiting- x-rays blood work showed nothing. Put him on antibiotics, stomach meds, and special food and he got better. Ran out of speical food and we went back to our old and he ate it twice then quit, got another brand, and it twice then quit....do I need to get the special food again? He's not acting sick, is he just being picky because of the changes in his enviroment? I can't handle this for much longer, 3 differnt bags of expensive food and a $600 vet bill when its just related to stress may mean he'll have to find a new home...any ideas?

Asked by Member 1125230 on Aug 11th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Did you follow up with your vet after your cat's illness to make sure he was cured? If he still isn't feeling good it could affect his appetite. If he ate the special food, I would keep him on it. Changing his food, especially if he's had digestive problems in the past, will upset his system even more. He could also be annoyed by the little human. Does he still get major playtimes and cuddles? If not you, then hubby? You know that rehoming him could be tricky as there is such an overwhelming overpopulation of cats/kittens in shelters now. I would try the special food again. Since your vet treated him and knows what his limitations are, I would call them and share with them what you've shared with us. They will be able to give you advice on how to get him to eat. Good luck. I hope he's able to keep his home!

You should also consider switching him to canned food, which is much better for his health and weight. Cats can develop sensitivities and allergies to dry food ingredients, which may have led to the vomiting and to his refusing to eat the food you used to give him. Canned food is higher in protein and much lower in carbs. Try one that has no (or very little) grain in it and give him a 5.5 ounce can divided into 2-3 meals a day.

Miss Dottie

The old food could be the cause in the first place, And stress(from a new baby) in a cat can aggrivate stomach problems.Its alot less expensive to feed the special food that he got better on, than another vet bill. He could have inflamatory bowl disease(IBD)and he knows after eating something that makes him sick, not to eat it again.
I have a cat who throws up every time the grandkids come over and get routy. My other cat died from possible IBD after sevier vomiting and some weight loss,he had blood work done that showed nothing except his protiens were low (vet sayed probably from throwing up), got meds for two weeks,but he wouldnt eat anything more than twice.He lost 3/4 of body weight in 3 weeks.
There are ways to condition a cat to more stressful situations. you should watch the program "My cat from hell" It really teaches you how to think more like your cat, be a little creative in reducing the stress he may have.Try moving his food, and room he can feel safe away from baby.

Miss Dottie answered on 8/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Just like any child, your cat wants attention. Just give him a healthy cat food that you enjoy feeding him. When he is hungry he will eat.