My cat will not stop crying at our back door, he claws on everything and he's very restless at night. HELP! PLEASE!!!

My cat Dobby is about 8 months old, we recently moved from an apartment to a trailer and he's been restless ever since. We've been here about two weeks, he made it very clear he wanted to go outside. My husband and I let him out today, we followed him around he spotted a male cat and of course was aggressive. He scratched my husband when he picked him up but we knew it was because he was anxious. We brought him back inside and even after an hour he was still panting and anxious. Now four hours later he wants to go back out he's scratching at the back door and crying. He jumps around all night to look out of the windows and wakes us up constantly. Is there something we can do to calm him? I refuse to let him out again he's a very pampered cat and he was far too stressed today for me to feel comfortable putting him out. Does anyone know how to keep him satisfied with being inside all the time? I need answers ASAP. I need my sleep!

Asked by Member 1113950 on Jun 3rd 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I am glad you are not giving in to Dobby and that you are keeping him inside. It seems to me that Dobby needs to be put in "time out". If you have a dog crate, put Dobby in it at night with his toys, food, water and a litter pan. Maybe he will start to get the message. This is what I do with my feral kittens I rescue. They have the run of a bathroom or bedroom all day and at night they know it's time to go to sleep in their crate. Dobby may not like it, but maybe he will get the message. He's going to carry on if he's in the crate or roaming around while you sleep, so keep him confined and maybe he will settle down and go to sleep. If this doesn't work, consult your vet for some advice. Maybe he/she will prescribe some diazepam (valium) for him. Whatever you do, DON'T LET HIM OUT! One more thing, you didn't mention if Dobby is neutered. Of course if he isn't, better get him fixed ASAP! Hope this helps.

I totally agree with the first answer using a large dog crate for the nights. Let him roam the trailer during the day. Is he neutered? If not get that done right away he will begin to spray soon and he should calm down with neutering. Once again I suggest Feliway can use a wall plug in but I would also pop on the collar for the time being. I hear they work very well and the calming effect is always on him. So glad you are keeping him inside and safe. Because of my great love for cats and my not knowing the facts of cat nutrition my girl now has diabetes and Chronic Kidney Failure. I want Dobby to live without those diseases. catinfo.org
Good luck once neutered and living in the trailer longer he should calm down.

if he is not fixed you might try that.. obvisouly there might be female cats around and they are in heat... my male cat did the same thing.. but stopped after i had him fixed..