My cat will not cover her litter at all, I keep her box very clean too.

My cat will not cover her litter in her box. I've tried 5 different litters so far. At least she's using the box and no other places. I buy WBCL World's Best Cat Litter a corn plant base, because the clays made her sneeze, wanted a natural litter that's flushable too. I adopted her 3 months ago from a Humane society. She is about 5 to 6 yrs. old. Is it maybe she was never taught properly or What? She takes her paws & goes up the walls and the rims of pan
working so hard & not even covering it at all. I tried to show her but to no avail. It's in a quiet area, the bathroom. She's a very sweet & affectionate cat, very beautiful love her so much. Just want to know why? I'm sure other cats do that to.I keep her box very clean to. Thank you very much Catster (:

Asked by Member 549623 on Dec 24th 2007 Tagged litterbox in Grooming

Best Answer

Some cats just don't cover their litter. This is one of the most common signs of domestication. Domestic felines sometimes lose their natural ettiquette that tells them to cover their excrement.

She could've also been separated from her mother at a very young age and has not learned to properly bury her feces. It's something a cat must learn at a very young age- like hunting, using a littler box, and climbing a tree. Unless taught to do so at an early age, their brain is hard-wired NOT to do those behaviors and it is often difficult for them to learn the behavior later on.

Natasha was raised in a feral cat colony (we think) and she has excellent hunting capabilities. Todd, our tabby rescue, was taken from his feral mother at the age of three weeks and has never learned how to hunt. Being two years old, he still cannot hunt. So it's just something he had to learn when he was young.

Maybe spread some dry leaves over the litter to encourage her to bury it.

answered on Dec 24th.

Answers

♥Morgan The PirateGato

Many cats will not cover their waste. Each has their own way - she's actually doing it "her" way - which unfortunately doesn't cover it.

We have 6 cats here, and we each has our own ways. A few us us kick up a storm, we could bury a pirate ship with the holes we dig. A few of us barely move our feet, and a few of us do the poop and escape immediately route.

We have several types of litter and different types of litter boxes - including an automatic with crystals.

But we all have our preferences.

Hope this helps

♥Morgan The PirateGato answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

I have three cats and the only one who doesn't cover is my female, Delilah the Diva. Ernie spends a half hour rearranging the litter until he's satisfied with his "cover", and Izzie, well, Izzie covers but he's always in a hurry to get into trouble someplace so it's usually hit and miss with him. One of them also kicks litter all over the bedroom where their boxes are. My daughter's cat, who occasionally "misses", will take a towel and cover up his doo-doo on the floor. In any case, you sound like a wonderful pawrent and I wouldn't worry about it.

Casey

Casey started out covering his business in the litter box but for the last year or so he doesn't consistenly cover. We keep both boxes very clean. Now th other cat is starting some of the same behavior. Casey is the dominant male or he pretty much sets the tone in the house. I don't know if your cat also does this but Casey will meow and meow when he doesn't cover so that he will get our attention so the WE will cover for him. Very frustrating. At least he lets us know when he decided not to cover.

Casey answered on 12/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer