Tigger

My cat went missing how long do I leave it until I go looking/put up notices/etc?

I've not seen my 4 yr old,neutered,male cat for 48 hours!I moved into the house at the end of April an left my kitties indoors for the recommended time.Then they tended to hang around the garden,but occasionally would go into a neighbors.Recently,there has been what appears to be a feral cat(he's scared of me,is thin an appears to have ear mites)that is completely black(like Tigger)who keeps coming into my garden and getting my 2 kitties all riled up.My cats don't bother with him/her unless he/she comes too close(and when they run,the other cat chases an scratches)The first couple of times he/she just sat in the garden,keeping distance but now he/she gets closer an closer to them and growls a lot(no ears down or hissing tho)The last time I saw Tigger he'd been cornered by this cat and I scared the cat off.He's been off this long before,but will usually come when I call him.The strange thing is I haven't seen feral kitty either?When do I go looking?How do I stop feral cat in future? :(

Asked by Tigger on Jul 1st 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I would think that if the feral cat considers your yard and around it his territory, that he is probably keeping your kitty away. I have heard people say to go out very late to look for a lost cat, like 1:00 in the morning, have a shirt or something that you have sweated in with you, thinking they could be attracted to your scent, call out to them quietly. Hopefully the kitty will come back soon.

I have to say that when my cats went missing at my old house, looking for them consumed my time until they were both found (it didn't end well). I immediately printed off signs for poles, went to vets and rescues with those fliers, called the local animal control, etc. I was probably too proactive. To keep cats, simply stray or truly feral, away from your yard, do not use bird feeders, leave cat or other food out, leave garbage cans out or have woodpiles, open sheds, untrimmed bushes or other places in your yard accessible as 'hiding spots'. If one adopts your yard, obtain a trap from your animal control and alert them when you trap one. Do NOT try to get the animal out of the trap. To try to find Tigger, go out at dark with a flashlight and after letting your neighbors know what you're doing, look in those same places I mentioned before. You can also set a humane trap now to see if you can trap one or the other. Good luck. Let us know what happens, please!