My cat was sniffing the leaf of a wild squash and went crazy afterwards. I think it is called Calabcita Curcurbita pepo

She sniffed for a good three minutes. My dog barked at a neighbor and Kitty started hissing. She was on a leash since she is new to the family and I was not sure if she would run away. After hissing, she sort of went crazy, knocking over things, running from one end of the yard to another, up the fence, all while growling and hissing. She wore out several of her nails and while laying on her back while I was trying to coax her, I saw that she had a little stool coming out...so scared or riled. I'm not exactly sure why this happened so I wondered if it could have been the leaf she was sniffing. We do have raccoons and possums out there at time so maybe that particular leaf had an animal scent on it, I'm not sure. All I know is that she was sniffing then she went nuts. I've never seen a cat go that crazy before, although I've heard stories.

Asked by Member 1134012 on Oct 3rd 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Chances are that the leaf had little to do with it. Your cat was in an unfamiliar place and restrained on a leash. If she's not been on a leash long, she panicked because she was trying to get away from the dog's barking and couldn't. If the dog is large and the bark was very loud and aggressive, that scared her even more. She lost control of her stool because she was THAT scared. Until she is more familiar with her surroundings and new home, I'd be tempted to take her out alone, without the dog or keep her indoors entirely.