Luna Skye

My cat was rescued end of Jan '13. She is affectionate but wont sit with me on my lap. What can I do to try and change?

we've had her for almost 4 mos. She's affectionate and will come sleep up in my bed next to me most nights for at least some of the night or most. But she wont sit next to me or on my lap and Im disabled and it makes me sad because she lets me pet her (even though she used to run first, now it she runs away she comes back for petting). just wonder if anyone has any ideas how to help her sit with me? thanks, Suzanne/ Luna's mommy

Asked by Luna Skye on May 6th 2013 Tagged cuddling, lapsitting, affection, lapsitting in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Delilah

Luna is a beautiful kitty! It seems to me that to a cat, it's more important to them if they like you rather than if you like them. That's not saying that Luna doesn't "like" or love you. She simply is just not a lap cat,yet. The fact that she is coming to you for pets is a major step for her. If she was abused or neglected or just ignored in her previous life, that's affected her. When I first got Delilah, she was an anti-social biter. She was in the shelter for a year because of it and everyone told me I was crazy for adopting her. Now, she is a sweet, cuddly lap cat who loves to be picked up and hugged and kissed (on her own terms); the only one of my 3 who does. She had to make up her OWN mind that I was OK. I couldn't change her. I treated her with love, patience and kindness and made sure all her needs were met. Be patient with Luna. Play with her, tell her how beautiful she is and how much you love her. Don't grab at or restrain her. Give her time. Good luck and purrs!

Delilah answered on 5/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My Mommy has had me for over 5 years. I am not nor will I ever be a lap cat. I don't like being picked up or held either. Like Luna, I am affectionate. I will sit right next to Mommy & I sometimes sleep with Mommy. I love being petted. I'll follow Mommy around sometimes & sometimes I get upset when Mommy leaves for work. Luna may not be a lap cat & may never be one. She's loving, affectionate & let's you pet her. Please be happy with that.

I agree, you can't make a cat a lap cat if it does not want to be a lap cat. I have had cats like that before, and it just wasn't for them. I have a feral the loves me now, she lives outside, and she will let me pet her, but I cannot pick her up and she will not sit on my lap. But you know what you could do? Search petfinder, there are TONS of lap cats out there that are just dying to find a lap to sit on :) I promise you this. You could even contact a good rescue agency and tell them that you are looking for a very lovable lap cat, and they may have just that kind of cat. And then your cat would have a friend, I find it easier and more comforting to have two cats, they always have a companion. Most cats will not like being handled and so close unless you have them from tiny kittens and get them used to that. I hope you find your lap cat one day, but love Luna for who she is anyway, I'm sure she shows love in other ways :)