My cat was gone all day having surgery and when i brought him back, my other cat started acting out towards him. Causes?

My cat that got the surgery was at the vet for 8 hours and when he was there, my other cat seemed a little bit distressed due to the absence of her brother. But as soon as i brought him back, she started hissing and swatting at him. She also was doing the deep belly growl when he ate some of the food that they normally share. I was wondering if the issue could be that she doesnt recognize his scent because he smells like other cats from the vets office (i noticed that she is continually sniffing around him, his cage and the floor). Or, could she have gotten so used to being an only cat over these 4 hours that shes becoming territorial?

Asked by Member 1149312 on Jan 10th 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

You actually did my job and answered your own question! 8o) Yes, the female is "weirded out" by the way the male smells. Animals are so senstive to smells. My dogs will stop in the doorway of the vet's and pull back, heading for the car, even if there's no other dogs in the waiting room. Your male came back smelling like meds, different people AND different animals. It's like the proverbial lipstick on the guy's collar. I've heard that if you take a dryer sheet and wipe both cats down, it may help the situation if they both smell the same. In addition, if your male cat is not feeling quite up to snuff, he's giving off "stay away from me!" vibes that only his sister is picking up on and reacting to. When Izzie got out this summer and came back in after only 15 minutes, Lizzie spent an hour sniffing him and "talking" to him. Then, she bopped him on the head, turned and walked away and that was it. Cats are extreme creatures of habit. Give it time!