My cat vomits only in morning after she eats she doesnt vomit at night I have changed foods but no change for over a yr.

She looks healthy and active.

Asked by Member 1101527 on Mar 22nd 2012 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Cats can't chew their food. If u feed them dry they swallow it whole. They try but their teeth are designed to shred off small pieces in strips which can easily be swallowed whole. Isolating a single chunk of food and grinding it up is difficult at best with their pointy teeth. So they give it a shot and end up swallowing it whole. Only problem is when they drink water the food expands and over fills them and Then They barf. Its like too much movie popcorn. So.. Kitty needs stuff to chew on to keep healthy teeth. So You can feed kitty dry food that's soaked in water making it soft and as big as it can be. Then find a dental type chew for Kitty that cleans their teeth and makes them feel special at the same time

Guest gives a very good answer. I'd like to add that if you do mix the food with water (or you can also mix in some wet food), don't let it sit out for a long time. It can get moldy and nasty and make your kitty even sicker. It's also possible that your cat is so hungry that she's gulping her food and swallowing lots of air. Then, it "auto-reverses" on her and comes back up. If possible feed her smaller portions more often. My cats have food down all the time, and although some here claim it can make your cat obese, none of my cats are overweight. Of course, if your cat seems not to be feeling well, she does need to go to the vet to make sure she's OK.

Nathaniel

Good answers have already been given. I find that on those occasions that Nathaniel throws up, it is also in the morning. Usually this is because he's gone without food during the night while I am sleeping and he eats too much too quickly in the mornings. As Izzie suggested, try smaller portions.

With Nathaniel, I give him a bit of dry food first thing in the morning. I refill his dish with a bit more dry food after I've gotten out of the shower and before leaving for work. By this time, he's not as hungry after the first round of food--and generally there is still some dry food left when I get home in the evenings. I provide him wet food in the evenings, giving him a couple spoonfuls at a time.

Nathaniel answered on 3/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer