My cat uses our beds to urinate and deficate. Sometimes, he comes in from his litter area and poops in front of us. why

When I first inherited my cat, I put him in my sons room away from our cat, but with his litter. Ever since, he pees on the bed. Now he will use any bed, but not usually mine where we snuggle. Our family cat has passed and he gets lots of attention(still sharing with the dog) aNd he came in and deficated in front of us on our bed. He has done it when company is here by the door as well. My husband wants him gone. I think it must be behavioral. He is obese, but always has been large.

Asked by Member 1146217 on Dec 31st 2012 Tagged dedicating, urinating, improper in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

If he's angry enough with the cat, it may not matter if you tell hubby that cats who are "gotten rid" of because they don't use the box are almost always euthanized b/c no one else wants them either. If kitty hasn't been to the vet in a while, he needs to go to make sure he has no health issues that are causing loss of control. You also need to discuss his diet with the doctor. Often times, obese animals don't have the control over their elimination. It's also possible he's in the habit of "marking" and is showing people who come over that this is HIS territory. It's also habit. Delilah uses my bathtub and I am about to put a box in there for her just for my own convenience. Try setting out more boxes for him and keep them spotless. If his urine has seeped through furniture or mattresses, there's not much you can do to remove the odor and you may have to throw them out. But do check with your vet.