My cat tries to 'BURY' his food...

Last night I gave my cat his canned food, and after he ate a little, I saw him scratching at the area around his dish like he was trying to 'cover it (the food) up',( like he does when he uses his litter box). I have also seen him do this on a few occassions with his treats. He gets dry food all day, and canned food and treats throughout. Any Ideas?

Asked by Member 1005733 on Sep 26th 2010 Tagged food, scratching, coverup, save, buryfood in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

gracie tatanka

dont worry its just his way of saying "just cos im not eating it now its still mine DONT TAKE IT AWAY" gracie does the same as a result i no longer have any mats down stairs it led to a couple of unfortunate sniffs around the place lol

gracie tatanka answered on 9/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle and Misty do this for two reasons- 1 is because they like it and want to Mark it as theirs. The other is because they HATE it and want it to GO AWAY. How do I inturpret that? Well it all depends on how long they ate the wet food. If they hate it, they usually dont even take a single bite, just sniff it and then try and cover it up. Plus if they REALLY hate it they turn around and do the reverse cover-kick- where as if they like it the 'covering' only occurs with the front paws.

So, if your cat is turning around and covering it and not touching any of the food, Id say hes telling you he dosnt like it. but if he only covers facing the food and returns to it shortly, dont be worried.

AnnaBelle answered on 9/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

That's funny but nothing to worry about!! They are just letting you know that they are done with this meal! My cats also do this after they have finished their meal and they're tummys are full. I would advise against free feeding dry food all day because cats in the wild do not have access to dry food , also free feeding dry food all day makes cats fat because of the higher carbs in the food. My cats get one wet meal in the morning and at night and a handfull of dry food only as a snack.Hope this helps!!!

Mr. Boo

All my cats did this- and I've been owned by cats for thirty years- my guess is that they're just saving it for later!

Mr. Boo answered on 1/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer