My cat throws up sometimes right after she's done eating. The only thing I can attribute it to is eating too fast.

She's 14 yrs old, an indoor cat only, and is very finicky. That's why I don't change her food, because it's the only kind she really likes. But, I think she eats so fast sometimes that her stomach can't digest it fast enough, and then she throws it up. Help!

Asked by Member 769040 on Nov 17th 2008 Tagged food, throwingup, eating, digestion in Food & Nutrition

Answers

If this is a new behavior than I think a visit to the vet is needed. If she is throwing up the food whole and undigested, then there could be a blockage in her stomach or intestines. But if she has always done it, like my Stormy did for her entire life, then you are probably right and she is just eating too fast. Try smaller portions throughout the day or else put something else in the dish that she needs to work to eat around like a couple of large clean stones to slow her down. Make sure they are too big to swallow by mistake though. Nothing worked for my Stormy and she was a big girl so she was still digesting enough to keep her healthy, just making a mess for me to clean up every day.

I agree with Allie that you probably want to check with your vet to be sure. If she's eating too fast, maybe if you only put out a little at a time that will encourage her to slow down a little more.

Booey

I was just at the vet for my cat Booey because he's been having problems throwing up as well and he is also 14 years old. If your cat is also losing weight it could be a sign of a thyroid or kidney problem, which they told me are treatable but you do want to catch it as soon as possible. I would recommend bringing her in to the vet so they can run tests to see if either of those things are the problem. Especially because it's the same food she usually eats. If you were switching her food that could be a good reason for it, but since it's the same food she's eaten before and not thrown up that points to a medical condition.

Booey answered on 11/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I strongly recommend that you get your cat to a veterinarian for a senior blood profile. If this is something that just started, it could be a sign of kidney problems which are common in older cats. It could, however, be anything. A senior blood profile would show any abnormalities in her kidney, thyroid or liver functions. Best of luck.

Molly

my cat does the same she is only 7 but she did this twice this week, but only with wet food she seems ok with dry, she seems fine other than that, she is my 3rd cat and I have only had her 9 weeks.

Molly answered on 10/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer