my cat tested pos to felv and anemia 2day and the vet said to put him down is there anything else i can do cant do it

i took my cat to the vets yesterday where they did a blood test as he lost his appetite i took him back today where they said he tested positive to felv and he also has anemia they said his red blood count was 15percent so they told me to bring him home to say our goodbyes and to take him back tomorrow to be put to sleep its all happened so quickly and im not ready to say goodbye yet please let me no if theres anything else that can be done he only 4 and hes my baby 2 weeks ago he seemed so healthy

Asked by Member 1059968 on Nov 13th 2012 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

I am so sorry you're having to deal with this. There are cat owners who claim that FeLV is not necessarily fatal and that cats can live with it and even develop antibodies. It's best if these cats are "only" cats since the virus can be transmitted thorough saliva. The cat must be vetted and tested regularly. Since your cat also has severe anemia, it may be very costly to treat him with no guarantees he could get well. To make sure you've done all you can do, you might want to take your cat to another vet for a second opinion. There are specialty vets around who deal specifically with these nasty cat diseases who may be able to advise you what your cat's prognosis is. You and your baby will be in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how he and you are doing. Purrs!