Daisy

My cat sucks on everything including me.

Does anybody have any suggestions on stopping a cat from sucking. She is 3 yrs old. If she sits on my lap, she sucks on me, if she comes to bed with me, she sucks on the sheets. It has gotten to the point it is annoying.

Asked by Daisy on Dec 31st 2009 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

If this is something that just started, then I would be tempted to visit the vet to make sure she's not deficient in her diet or have some other health concern. If she's been doing it for 3 years, then she was probably separated from her mother too early. When she does this tap her (lightly!!) on the nose and say a firm "No!". You can also squirt her (but not directly in the face) with a spray bottle of water. But understand that squirting her is insulting to her and may injure her bond with you. You can try distracting her with playtimes with you. You can get a liquid called "Bitter Apple" and spray that on anything she sucks on. It doesn't taste good. You can also try getting her some cat chew toys such as "Greenies" and give those to her when she starts. If she refuses to stop, try substituting a stuffed animal and praise her when she sucks on that instead of on you or other things.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Dec 31st.

There Are No Other Answers