My cat stopped eating her cat food, what can I get her to start eating again?

My cat is 10 yrs old and has suddenly stopped eating her cat food, but still seems to have the same energy but I haven't seen her clean herself like she normally does. I tried placing the food on a clean plate and also feeding her refried beans which she normally loves as a treat but she just walks right by it. What should I do?

Asked by Member 1143239 on Dec 1st 2012 Tagged noteating, food, noappetite in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Princess Puss

My first question would be, is she eating anything else at all? If so, then its possible that she might be bored with the food that she routinely gets, and it might be time to change it up.

However, if she is not eating ANYTHING at all, then I would immediately call your vet.

Also, some cats as they age, require less food than they normally do. Take a measuring cup, and fill it with 1/4 cup of food, and leave it in her bowl WITHOUT adding any fresh or etc. for 24 hours, and take the food that is left and measure it out and see if there is a difference. Depending on how much food you normally give her, you may not notice if she eats smaller amounts than you are accustomed to seeing.

Is she drinking water? Using the bathroom okay? This is why I like to use CLUMPING kitty litter. This way I can monitor how much my cat PEES as well as poops. If she's making poop, then I GUARANTEE you she's eating, cuz the food has to go somewhere, right?

Princess Puss answered on 12/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer