Toby

my cat STINKS!! eye watering stinking.. how can I fix it? Whats wrong with him?

I feed my cat decent dry food (no table scraps) and he eats a lot! He eats so much I have to limit his food intake and he really hates it, asking for food EVERY time he sees someone walk by. He's been to the vet and has no parasites. He is the stinkiest cat Ive ever smelled! He doesn't seem to be in any pain and his gas is silent. He drinks plenty of water. Any ideas?

Asked by Toby on Mar 1st 2008 Tagged stink, gas, fart in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

the kaya skye & shyloh paige

i went to toby's page...my what a big handsome boy...and still growing. you say you're giving him a decent dry food-he is still on kitten food, right? if he's on adult food, he's not getting the nutrition he needs, and that could explain the hunger. and even if he is on kitten food, it could be a great kitten food and still not agree with toby. he might just have a sensitive tummy, or he might be allergic to something in his current food. he might not even be hungry, he just may be interpreting his stomach discomfort as hunger and be begging for food to stop the cramping. he may not seem to be in pain, but any critter with that much gas ain't comfy. i'd switch foods...but i don't know what's available in a kitten food for sensitive stomachs, and no idea what he might be reacting to if it's a food allergy. maybe someone else out there has more specific advice? good luck!!

the kaya skye & shyloh paige answered on Mar 1st.

Answers

Excess gas isn't a fun situation--if it's yours or one of your pets (not even to mention a significant other's...8-) ) My son-in-law's motto is "better out than in", but it's not pleasant for the people who have to live with you. Are you certain that Toby isn't getting into something in your house, like plants or other indigestibles? Some kitties, gross as it sounds, also eat their own stool and that will cause gas as it recycles inside them. As far as I know, there is no kitten food for sensitive stomachs--kitten food is already pretty bland. You can try giving him a quarter of a Pepcid tablet if you can get it down him. That was advised by my vet last summer for Izzie. In any case, it sounds like Toby's food isn't doing the job in a lot of ways. Wet food tends to fill them up (but can also contribute to the gas problem). You may want to phone your vet to see if there is any kitten-appropriate food out there that will fill Toby up and not cause more gastric problems.

Poe

When you say decent food, make sure it is a premium brand and not just a grocery brand. That makes a really big difference. When my cats were boarded they ran out of Nutro and the facility gave them Meow Mix to supplement it. When we got back from vacation, Poe's gas was so terrible I thought I was going to have to lock her out of the bedroom, especially, since she curls up right next to me @ night. After a week they were back on track. Another thing you might want to consider is trying a formula made for cats and kittens with sensitive tummies. Make sure he is getting his recommended amount of food, but don't overfeed him. If he continues to beg, carry a few cat treats around in your pocket and offer him one or two of those. Chaucer and Poe both love Temptations, but if I give them too many, that will also cause them gas, so I limit those treats. I offer them wheatgrass treats the rest of the time which Chaucer dearly adores. Good Luck Toby!

Poe answered on 3/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

Maybe the food has soy in it? Soy causes gas. Also, sometimes if a cat eats too fast they swallow air, which causes gas. Just put some BIG rocks on his bowl so that he will have to navigate around the rocks to eat, causing him to eat slower.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 3/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer