My cat seems to love the smell of bleach and cleaning products. Whenever I'm cleaning my bathroom, he is rolling around

Asked by Member 1147886 on Jan 2nd 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

It seems that your cat is answering the call of his ancestors and trying to cover up his own scent. Dogs do the same thing when they find a nice pile of nasty stuff when you walk them. However, getting bleach and cleaning products on his fur isn't safe. When he grooms himself, he can easily ingest it, and although unless he drinks it right from the bottle, it won't kill him but could make him very sick not to mention cause skin rashes, etc. When you clean, try to rinse as well as you can and then close the bathroom door with him on the outside of it. Don't use toilet deodorizers either. If he drinks out of the potty, that could also make him sick.