Mae

My cat seems to love sucking on my blanket and shirts. Will she ever stop?

I've had Mae since she was around eight weeks old, and ever since she's enjoyed sucking on my shirts and the large blanket on my bed. I understand that kittens knead and suck on things at a young age because it's like they're nursing from their mother, but Mae's around seven months old and she still hasn't stopped. She used to suck on everyones' shirts, but now it's only mine and my blanket. It gets really irritating after a while because I can't just sit with her unless it means getting my shirt drenched with kitty slobber. Will she ever stop?

Asked by Mae on Apr 2nd 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Mae sees you as her "mom" now. It's possible she wasn't ready to be weaned when she was. You don't say what her history is, but if, for some reason, she was separated from her mom before she was ready, this can cause her to suck on things. It's possible she will stop in time. She's still a kitten and still learning what's right and wrong. You can get a stuffed animal or washcloth and that can be her "blankie" so to speak. You can also try spraying vinegar on whatever part of your shirt or blanket she uses. It's bad taste will deter her from doing it. It's a comfort thing. If she starts doing it on your skin, use deodorant as that has a really upleasant taste to kitties.