My cat seems to have a skin parasite, but I can't find any fleas

My cat scratches herself constantly and at first I thought it was fleas, but I've checked her time and time again and have found nothing. I've noticed on her cat bed that there's alot of small pieces of what looks like dirt. And sometimes there are these other black things, super tiny, but all curled almost like a snailshell. I crushed on with my fingernail and there was blood in it. Also her fur
is constantly falling out. It used to be thick and soft and now it's scraggly and thin. Please help

Asked by Member 734138 on Sep 11th 2008 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Cherry

Scratching or biting. If this continues beyond one day and leads to lesions such as hair loss, reddening of the skin and obvious pain or discomfort, have your cat evaluated by your veterinarian.Flea allergy is the most common allergic skin disease in the United States.Cats with flea allergy tend to scratch their back ends leading to lesions on the rump, hind legs, tail and belly.Since it takes just one flea to make the cat react, the presence of fleas on the cat may be minimal to absent. Since you mentioned it is not Flea,I think it might be lice.

Lice are small insects that are easily seen with the naked eye that can cause scratching. They suck the blood and also lead to hair loss.Also when you crush the lice, blood comes out. So I think this might be the reason. But Please check with your Vet. Obviously your cat is uncomfortable with scratching and hair falling out.
Please take her to the VET for an examination.

Cherry answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Sam

Maybe you can look at changing their diet. Just like hoomans we can have dry skin, which can itch. There are some foods out there for healthy skin and coats or with extra oils for senitive skin. Ask your vet or at the pet shop just an idea. Good luck purrs Sam

♥Sam answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't know anything about lice, but what you described, as dirt, some say it looks like pepper, is "flea dirt". It is the poopies of the fleas. You have fleas.

As the other poster said, alot of cats have allergies to the flea dirt, and must be treated by a vet. Your vet should check your cat with a flea comb. The teeth are very close together, and when combed thru a cat, will show the fleas.

Either way, I would suggest too, that you take her to your vet. :-)

Go to your vet! He/she will know the answer, prescribe the right medicine, and your cat will be cured. Not only that, but you will be happier, too. GO!

I have seen those little curly things to. At first I thought they were ticks because they had blood in them,and the shell was a different color. Not all brown like ticks. I have noticed them also around the house on my screens. I live in Az so god only knows what kind of bugs they are. Im sorry I dont have the best answer for you. I hope your kitty gets all fixed up!

Hunter

I've noticed on her cat bed that there's alot of small pieces of what looks like dirt. And sometimes there are these other black things, super tiny, but all curled almost like a snailshell. I crushed on with my fingernail and there was blood in it.

These are signs that she has fleas!!! When you crushed the one with your finger and saw blood..that is flea feces, digested blood. All of that "dirt" you see on the bed is flea feces. The super tiny black things are flea larvae. You need to start her on some flea medication (Frontline or Advantage). You should also have a vet check the skin to be sure there isn't a secondary bacterial infection (caused by the excessive scratching) requiring antibiotics. ONE flea can cause severe allergic reactions so even if you are not seeing an actual flea, you are seeing evidence of fleas.

Hunter answered on 9/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer