Mitzy

My Cat runs out in apartment hallway and won't come in then scratches me if I pick her up

My Cat used to follow me everywhere when we lived in a house and now we moved to a small apt. and she won't follow me anymore and stays in hallway. I try to entice her in with food and treats but she won't come in and neighbors complain she's om the hall. She meows at door all the time. She even chases my other cat and she's so unhappy living in new apt. She goes out through window catflap outside but seems to sneak in apt when someone lets her in as she stands at outside door. I'm tired of getting scratched although I wear mitts. I dislike her behavior and want to let her go and be put down if she keeps it up as no one will take this scratchy cat.

Asked by Mitzy on Dec 2nd 2012 Tagged hallway, scratching, biting, behavior in Aggression

Answers

Before you resort to The Final Solution, consider that your cat has been through some hard times. If she is an outdoor cat, she's in a new atmosphere and probably on sensory overload. She's probably getting yelled at by your neighbors and feels this isn't a very friendly place to be. She's taking it out on you and your other cat. Moving is very traumatic for everyone, including the animals and some react the way your cat is reacting. If she were mine, I would have an earnest chat with my vet about her behavior. You may even want to put her in a room with a box, bed, food/water and toys so she can't get out. The vet may suggest a short course of anti-anxiety meds and some behavior counselling. It takes time and patience, though. Good luck. I hope you find a solution and don't have to put her down.