My cat runs around growling and screaming and tries to literally climb walls.

I have a 10-month old spayed female cat who has periods of time where she'll run around the house growling and making a noise that I can only describe as "screaming" for anywhere from 5 min. to an hour at a time. She will also literally try to climb walls and is actually successful in climbing doorways. It sounds like she is fighting with something but there is nothing there. When she was spayed our vet actually had to prescribe her sedatives to keep her from ripping open her incision. Even when she's calm, she is still very vocal and will walk around crying often and will sit at the door and cry even if I just go to the laundry room for 5 mins. I've read that being very vocal is a sign of loneliness or separation anxiety, but we have another cat who is close in age and they get along fabulously, and my boyfriend and I lavish her with attention and lots of toys and playtime. She sees the vet regularly, is healthy and aside from this is very friendly and well-socialized. Help???

Asked by Member 969239 on Feb 28th 2010 Tagged growling, screaming, hyperactivity, constantmeowing, vocal in Noisiness

Answers

Try to video her while she is having one of these episodes so the vet can see exactly what is going on. If it is possible try to get a close up of her face and eyes. Because she is normal and friendly most of time its possible she is having some kind of seizure or attack and a video may help the vet look for signs of that.

The crying when you are out of sight may be signs of separation anxiety but that doesn't usually result in freaking out like that.

The only other thing I can think of is if she is extremely territorial and reacting to cats that she sees outside. Is that possible based on what she's doing before she freaks out? Can she see cats coming into your garden?

It may be worth asking your vet to refer you to a specialist if they think it could be some kind of seizure/attack or an animal behaviouralist to check out behavioural causes.

Sassy has great advice. The only thing I can add is that--cats is cats. Japanese moggies tend to be semi-feral and vocal. My Maine Coons are largely silent and preternaturally well-behaviored when at the vet's. Your cat is ten months old, which means that she's still, technically speaking, a kitten. Even mature cats have episodes of the "Cat Crazies" in which they race up stairs, climb up on things, etc. By all means, get a vet check. Having another cat in the household, and lavishing her with attention, should--should--make her more relaxed. But every cat has a different personality, and LOL, we Humans often have to accept them for what they are (sort of like marriage...). But do go to the vet.

It sounds like you take superior care of your kitty, and you shouldn't think she's acting the way she does because it's your fault. If she has always been high-strung, she may need a small dose of a kitty prozac type medication. I've seen this work wonders on hyperactive kitties.

Sounds like one crazy cat! The videotape idea is a good one. A trip to the vet for some diazepam might help too!!!! Good luck.