my cat refuses to eat anything but one brand of dry cat food, no canned food what so ever, she seems healthy is this ok?

Asked by Member 1159312 on Mar 19th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Cats are notoriously finicky eaters. One of the main reasons for feeding "wet" or canned food is for hydrations since this food is mostly water. My cats' diets are mostly dry food too. Actually, it's a good idea to stick with one brand. It causes less gastrointestinal upsets when you feed one type or brand consistently. I invested in a small 'cat fountain' through PetMate (Drinkwell also makes one). I keep it running and filled constantly. I also have a large one on the floor for my dogs and the cats also drink out of it. As long as your cat drinks water, I wouldn't worry.

Many people agree that wet food is better than all dry, especially if your cat is ever had UTI issues. I have had that problem, so I feed only wet food. I had a dry addict, would not touch wet, but I converted the old bat! Wet is way better for them and it can be done. It is hard, but so worth it. You give them a small amount of dry food in the morning, like 1/4 or 1/3 c of dry. Give them 10 minutes to eat it, then take it away if any is left. Then you put out wet food, which they will ignore and stick the nose in the air and tell you hell will freeze over before the touch it..and they won't at first, probably for days. Just put a few spoonfulls of it at first, so not to waste, several times a day. At night, 1/4 c again. Eventually, they will get hungry and try the wet food, just a bit at first. Repeat this daily. Took me months, but I did it. She does get 10 little kibble pieces as a snack at bedtime, but eats wet 2x day. All dry is bad, bad, bad. Switch now before UTI's and stones.