my cat refuses to drink from his water bowl...I have to put shower head on ledge, turn on so one or two streams of water flow...that is the only way he will drink water...I fear that if I can't be there to turn on water he will dehydrate...how do I fix this?

Asked by Member 1066451 on Oct 26th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Kosuteh

Momma is a Pet Nutrition Specialist for Nutro, and is in Petsmart quite a bit. I love drinking from the bathroom faucet myself, and two things come to mind to try. Several companies make pet water fountains that provide a constant stream of running water. Since your cat likes to drink fresh, running water, this might be a good way to get him to drink water.

Also, wet food is a good way to get hydration in him as well. Wet food's first ingredient is usually broth or water, and that also helps keep a cat hydrated. At our house we get Nutro Natural Choice Mature Health dry food left out, and a half a can of wet to split between us every day. It works well for us!

Kosuteh answered on 10/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi
I've heard that cats do not like their whiskers touching the water - so try to get a wide bowl, so your cat can drink without getting his whiskers wet. That might do it? Or .. try getting one of those new water dishes - that pump water out fresh all day long.....maybe he'll drink from that?

My cats and I definitely cast our vote for the pet water fountains. If your cat likes constantly moving water to drink, this is your answer. Most big box pet stores and the Internet have them for under $40. I have a large one for my dogs (Drinkwell) and the cats also drink out of this. There's no training involved. They take to it right away. The smaller cat fountain is easier to clean and you just need to replace the filter every month or so. I guarantee you, your cat will LOVE this and you will be free from having to redesign your shower to get him to drink water!

they have really great "water fountains" for cats now because so many want moving water. They keep water moving like a water fall. should be available at target, wal-mart as well as Pet stores:)
A few friends with cats have purchased them and cats are happily using them.

Roush

Dehydration is a major problem in cats that do not drink enough, especially neutered males.

My first suggestion would be to put him on a wet food diet -- that is how cats naturally get water because most are stubborn drinkers.

Second, try a cat fountain. However, beware, my cat likes trinkling fountain and I bought one that was specifically designed NOT to make noise. :/ Ooops! You could also buy a decorate fountain, because they usually make noise AND look good! :) Be careful of the brand also tho, I went through two or three and had to return them before finally finding one me AND Roush liked! :)

Roush answered on 10/27/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The previous answers given are very good and I just wanted to add one important thing to consider when (or if) you purchase a water fountain for your cat. Stay away from the plastic water fountains and look for metal, glass or ceramic. You will pay a little more for these, but will save money in the long-run as there are many health hazards in the plastic fountains, not to mention the mold & smell that will collect in the areas that are impossible to properly clean and disinfect, even when disassembled. Unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way. Hope this helps. It is indeed very important to keep your cat hydrated. You could always treat your cat to the occasional tub faucet 'experience' (lol)...they will thank you for it. Good Luck!