my cat poo-ed on his own bed.. ==' any way to re-train using the litterbox?

few days ago we trained him to use the litter, and i think i accidentally scared him when he was about to use it by laughing (When i tried to hold it cus i was too happy). since then he didnt even use the litter for pee or poo.

and just today i found out that my cat poo-ed on his own bed.
is there any way for me to re-train my cat with the litter box? thanks.

Asked by Member 1154418 on Feb 9th 2013 Tagged bed, poo, pee, litterbox, litter in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats are very sensitive about their litter boxes. They like privacy and a very clean box. If, when your cat first used the box, you were watching him and reacted with a loud voice and grabbing at him, even though it was unintentional on your part, you did scare him. He now associates the box with being scared and grabbed. I would try putting the box in a completely different place. Clean it well, scrub it out and put in new litter. Then, ignore him when he heads toward the box and leave him alone while he's using it. Don't watch and don't react. Wash his bed in hot water and soap to get rid of the smell. Check your house for other spots he may be using and clean those as well. And, if it continues, he may have a health issue unrelated to your reaction, so at least phone the vet.