My cat pees all the time! Help!

My 2 year old Siamese cat gets urinary issues every few months. I adopted her from a kill shelter in December of last year, and she was spayed there. They told me she probably has had a couple of litters of kittens before being picked up by animal control. Anyway, she goes to the litter box every 1-2 minutes, pushes out a little urine, and leaves. Her urine is clear light yellow with a little bit of mucousy-reddish discharge. Sometimes she doesn't make it to the box when it's really bad and she goes on my bed, carpet, or wherever she happens to be standing at the time. It seems quite unpleasant for her, so I'd really like to figure out what's wrong and prevent it if possible. The first time it happened I took her to the vet, who charged me $200 to do a bunch of tests and then told me she has idiopathic cystitis. They gave me metronidazole and a pain killer for her, which seems to work by the second day. I really want to prevent it though. Is it really cystitis? How do I prevent it?

Asked by Member 1183597 on Aug 1st 2013 Tagged urination, discharge, spayedfemale in Illness & Disease

Answers

Ask the vet if there are any special foods for the condition. It sounds like your kitty will need to be on medicine for the rest of her life, and that is probably how she ended up at the shelter. Your best bet is to get a second opinion from another local vet. ^_^