My cat peed in my bed, which is something she has never done.

For the last two weeks I have been babysitting two cats in my apartment. My cat doesn't like either one of them and is a bit scared. They are constantly hissing at one another and she stays in my bedroom the whole time. All three use the litter box, but it's becoming somewhat unmanagable and I find that I have to change the litter every few days. This morning I noticed that my cat peed in my bed and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the other cats or whether she might have developed a physical problem.

I didn't have time to clean my comforter, only remove the wet material. Is there a good way to clean it or do I need to throw it away.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Asked by Member 966164 on Feb 19th 2010 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

♥ Tasha ♥

I think you need to put out some extra boxes-- the rule is 1 per cat +1-- I would at least put out 2. Stress can cause medical problems for your kitty, so hopefully the cats you are babysitting can go home soon. Here is a website that may help you: catinfo.org

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 2/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sinceyour cat doesn't like the 2 you are babysitting you should separate them to avoid stressing her out. Is there a room you can set aside for the 2 cats and put their litter box and food/water in their. If its an open plan 1 bedroom apartment give your cat your bedroom with her own litter box, move her food/water dishes in there and shut the door so the other cats can't bug her.

Stess can make urinary tract infections (UTI) more likely and it can also make cats more likely to show their fear/displeasure by peeing on your stuff. You need to wash the comforter or the smell will make her want to pee there again. Just putting it through the washer should work fine.

If she is fine once they are separated and has her own litter box it was just stress/behavioural issue. If she keep's peeing you should take her to a vet to check for a UTI.

I'm not a vet, but my cat did the same thing when we moved. This is what I did: close your bedroom door when you and your cat is not in there. Wash all your soiled bedding. Regular tide with bleach worked for me. And for three cats you really need four litter boxes. A lot I know. But if that all seems unreasonable, move a clean litter box in your room while you have company.