My cat pants alot

my cat pants a lot in the evening. DO cats pant? is he just hot or is it something else? He is 8 yrs. old. Does his age affect anything?

Asked by Member 633779 on Aug 11th 2008 Tagged health in Senior Pet

Best Answer

Henry (1996-2010)

Cats usually don't pant, but my big cat pants every so often when he's sitting in the sun, excited (he'll pant a little when he plays with toys) or super stressed (he does it when I bring out the carrier to go to that nasty doctor). His vet says the occasional pant is OK for a cat, but anything more than that can indicate that he's in pain or is in some sort of distress. Your cat should not pant like a dog. Cats stay cool by grooming themselves and letting the wetness evaporate.

You may want to take him to the vet for a check up just to make sure everything is OK. If your cat is in good health, and his coat is tangle free so air can reach his skin, just assume it's a quirk like my Henry has.

If he still pants, brush him really well, and try to put a little water on his paws to cool him down. That's what my vet recommended when my big guy is panting too much in the summer.

Henry (1996-2010) answered on Aug 11th.

Answers

To add to the first excellent answer, I'd just like to say that if your cat seems to tire easily or you notice that he is also coughing a lot, you may want to have his heart checked.

Hunter

Cats typically don't pant so you should have a vet evaluate him for potential heart or lung conditions. It may be completely normal but it's best to have a vet evaluate him.

Hunter answered on 8/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

A panting cat is a potential emergency situation. If your cat is panting at all have him seen ASAP

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 8/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cats pant sometimes after stressful play or when hot--as when being in a carrier on a hot summer day. They've all had recent physicals, so I know it's not due to any health issues. Occasional panting, especially when it's due to these reasons, is fairly typical of cats, but "pants a lot in the evening" sounds like your cat needs to be checked out by a vet ASAP. Better safe than sorry!

Suky

I had this problem with one of my cats about 3 years ago. Your cat could need more fluids or be sat in the sun for too long. It would be advisable to send your cat to a vets because it could be something serious or get worse if not treated.

Suky answered on 8/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Age has nothing to do with the panting, the pant when they get way too hot like Henry said it is rare. Nothing to worry about.