My cat overgrooms herself, I use advantage plus but is there something natural that will help better and longer?

She scratches and licks herself until she is raw in some areas. I have taken her to the vet for cortizone shots and they worked but refuse to give her too many of those, they can't be good for her, but they seem to be the only thing that helps. The vet and second opinion both said it is the fact that she overgrooms herself but obviously when she gets even just one flea. The advantage does help a little but can only use that every two weeks according to the manufacturer when I called them. Can you please tell me if the garlic or brewers yeast is really true and if it is how much am I supposed to give her and how often?? Thank you for your help!!

Asked by Member 886668 on Sep 25th 2009 in Skin Problems

Answers

When a cat overgrooms herself, it can be a sign of stress. She may be a cat who is very susceptible to changes in her environment, even if you happen to leave for work a few minutes early or late. Something may be stressing her out and she may need an anti-anxiety medication. There is a prozac made for cats and many other anti-anxiety medications she could try. If you are using the Advantage that often, it can't be good for her. You may want to also use a flea bomb (spray) for your house and power vacuum to make sure there aren't fleas in your home. It does no good to treat the kitty if you have fleas in your home that just jump right back on her. You also might need to treat the area around your home outside. Other animals could be bringing them in--or even you on your clothes. It could also be her diet. Have you discussed food allergies with the vets? Her skin may be overly sensitive and that's why the feeling of the fleas on her stresses her out.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

My cat also had some issues with licking to the point of raw skin, mostly on her front legs when I first adopted her. I as well would take her to the vet for a shot and it worked for awhile. I had to bring her in before it got infected but not right away because the shots can be harmful. She had no fleas so I knew this wasn't the problem. I switched her to a holistic food and she hasn't needed another cortizone shot since. Maybe it was allergies I will never know. Her food is grain free, (Innova Evo), it worked for her so you might want to give that a try.
All my best.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 9/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

I would agree with the previous posters that maybe you need to look into either stress or food allergies. They can be a trigger for the sort of behavior she is displaying. In that sense, overgrooming is a symptom, but not the main problem. If it's stress, then she might need anti-anxiety medication to get over the problem. If it's allergy related, you will need to work with a veterinary dietitian to figure out how to change her diet slowly from whatever she is eating right now to a limited ingredient food that might alleviate the problem.

Even if you were to go the holistic route with homeopathic remedies, that's probably something you should ask your vet about, not random people on the internet. Garlic for one can be toxic to cats in large doses, so I wouldn't recommend messing with it.

Gracie answered on 9/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer