Piwacket

My cat (not quite a year old) will not leave the new cat (around 4) alone.

My cat (not quite a year old) will not leave the new cat (around 4) alone. My friend is getting divorced and needed a home for him, so I took him in. he is a big sweetheart and gets along with the other two, even the dog. He's a big love bug. I knew we would take him as soon as I heard she was moving. The kitten keeps biting the new ones tail and starting fights with him and when I put them in separate rooms the kitten did outside the door and yells and yells (chattering) I don't know what to do. They are both males, the kitten will be getting fixed soon, all the others are fixed already. I don't know how to get them to get along!

Asked by Piwacket on Dec 10th 2012 Tagged new, chattering, biting, help in Socialization

Answers

Well, little brothers are supposed to be a pain in the you-know-where I guess. But, usually when we bring a new cat home, we keep it separated from the rest of the population for at least a few days in a room with a box, food, water, etc. and visit the newbie as often as we can. I would say that eventually the older cat will set the ground rules for the kid. Sometimes when cats play, it does sound like fighting and unless it gets really nasty, you shouldn't interfer. And if you must, be very careful. Cat scratches and bites and nothing to fool around with. Try distracting the kid by playing with him and big brother together. If nothing else, you'll wear the little one out. Big brother is a new "toy" to the baby and he's just so thrilled he doesn't know what to do. Things will eventually settle down, especially after the baby is neutered. They mostly have to set their own rules for how the relationship will go. Only interfer if the fur starts to fly.