Brittney Spears

My cat never covers up after she uses her litter box,what can I do?

Well,I got Brittney a year ago.She was a wonderful kitten and had great manners.But now she barely covers up after she uses her litter box,and I have to do it for her.I dont know why she is doing this.

Asked by Brittney Spears on Oct 5th 2009 Tagged litterboxtraining in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Minxy (1987-2008)

Cats bury their urine/poop to hide the smell and avoid predators finding them. Not covering up is probably a sign that Britney feels very secure in her home and has figured out there are no predators to worry about. I've also noticed from experience that while most cats will cover up, often the alpha cat won't. When Minxy was queen of the cats (and ruled with an iron fist) she wouldn't cover up and one of my other cats would always run in and cover it up for her. So even though Brittney is the only cat she may still think she is the queen!

Minxy (1987-2008) answered on Oct 5th.

Answers

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

My question to you...instead of covering it for her why don't you simply take it out?
I honestly don't think this is anything to worry about. You need to worry if she starts doing her business outside the litterbox.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 10/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think Brittney's mom may be trying to teach her to cover by doing it for her. Sometimes my 3 cover and sometimes they don't. It's usually the stinkiest b.m.'s that they don't cover up. They don't want to be around that pile long enough to cover, I guess ;-) If it really bugs you, you can always get her a box that's covered but be warned they can be a pain to clean when you have to dismantle them. If you've noticed any other changes in behavior, you may want to chat with your vet. Minxy's right though. My male, Izzie, is the one who will most often not cover and our family all knows he's the prince.

Sabre

Sabre and Rodney do not cover up their business after they go either. I think that may be because I clean the litter box twice a day. The other poster is right in saying it is because they feel comfortable. However, if you have more than one kitty she may not burry because their is not enough litter boxes and she wants to scare off the others from using "her" box.

Sabre answered on 10/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer