My cat masterbates. He is a 3 yr old netuered male. Does anyone have a cat that does this & what do you do about it?

Asked by Member 874159 on Sep 6th 2009 Tagged catneuteredmasterbates in Behavior & Training

Answers

I've only had female cats so I'm not sure if this is normal or maybe the sign of some medical issue. Why don't you call your vet and ask. They may want to see him to make sure everything is ok and check he was proberly neutered and can give you some more advice after that. If they confirm he's Ok and normal its probably nothing to worry about.

First of all, what makes you think he's masturbating? Does he mount you? Honestly, it does make a difference to specify. if he is mounting people or stuffed animals or whatever, it could be that when he got fixed, he had an undescended testicle that the vet simply didn't remove. It's not altogether uncommon. You might consider taking him to the vet to see, as finishing the job might help with the behavior. Other than that, as long as he isn't mounting any female cats he should be fine. Mind you though, if he still has one testicle, he can still make kittens so be careful around intact females.

I've never heard it put quite this way, but if your cat is expressing what you say is sexual behavior, it can also be a form of aggression. Do you feel he is a dominant cat? If he always has to be "the boss", then he is a dominant cat. Cats will also mount as a sign of stress. If your household is noisy, busy and includes children and other animals, he could just be stressed out. Finally, if he's always grooming his private area and you consider that as masturbating, is it possible he has an infection down there? It could be internal or even an itchy rash. Distracting him with playtime and some new, interesting toys may discourage him from this behavior.

Spike

Since you don't describe the exact nature of his mastubatory habits, it's hard to answered. Neutered males do mount other cats--both intact and spayed females, and neutered males (I'm not sure about intact males). It could be some residual sexual urge that makes them do it (neutered Harvey mounted intact Leila when she was in heat--we're a cattery and have intact females). Mounting a male could be a dominance thing. If it's licking that you're referring to, then there could be an actual medical problem. Male cats, both intact and neutered, do extend their penis and give it a thorough washing when grooming themselves. I can't imagine what else could be considered masturbatory behavior except rubbing his genitals against you or some other surface. A friend had a spayed female cat who would periodically rub her genitals on a bump in the carpet. As for "what do you do about it"--as long as it's not a health problem, I'd just let him be. I wouldn't worry--but I would get a vet check

Spike answered on 9/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

i have a neutered male cat who at certain times of the year would with out warning fly at me bite and scratch. Usually Max and i have a great bond and relashionship, out of all my cats he is my boy. After he attacked me from the floor as i was petting him, and he was purring, it was to the vets. My vet reckons that sometimes even cats that have been done can have hormone surges, and they cant control it. We kept a record of when this happned and found to our surprise that i was about the time that male cats were ready for mating. Now as soon as he shows signs we take him to the vet and he gets a jab. The same medication that they give pedeofiles, who have medical castration. This does the trick, after 3years of treatment, when this happens his body has now settled down and he hasnt had to have any more jabs for the last year. It seems that his body was still making the male hormone teresterone. This is not at all unuasual in male nuetered cats.