My cat loves my husband and I, but hisses and swats at my 13 yr old daughter. Cat is very aggressive to her. Help

Asked by Member 1113952 on Jun 3rd 2012 Tagged aggressive, hissing, swatting, scratching, teenager in Aggression

Answers

It's very unusual for an animal to take an instant dislike to a person with no reason. There is usually some incident in the animal's past involving the person that has caused the animal to have an aggressive reaction. The incident may have been deliberate or unknowing, but at some point, your daughter must have done something to cause the cat to act aggressively toward her. If this is a sudden change in behavior, you may want to talk with your daughter (not interrogate) about what might have happened. She may not want to be forthcoming if you accuse her of possibly mistreating the cat, but tell her it bothers you that she and your cat don't get along and between the 2 of you, maybe you could figure out what happened. In the meantime, if I were your daughter, unless the cat is outright attacking her, I would caution your daughter to give the cat its space.