My cat lost his upper front tooth (incisor?), Should I be worried about this?

in the past week my cat lost his upper front tooth (incisor?), I'm not sure how. Should I take him to a vet, or is this something that happens to cats sometimes. He can stay inside whenever he wants but usually wants to go outside, and we live in the countryside so that's not a problem. He's about 3 to 4 years old, had his rabies shots, and doesn't seem in pain, I saw the missing tooth when he was yawning. Should I be concerned?

Asked by Member 445625 on Jan 12th 2009 in Dental Care

Best Answer

Yep. As usual, Allie is right. The only other way it could have happened is if he had a case of the kitten crazies (which grown cats also have) and when he was running around he hit his mouth on something or actually got his tooth caught and in trying to get out of the situation, he pulled so hard he actually pulled his tooth out. In either case--what Allie said or if he lost it by accident, he should be seen by a vet. Any open sore anywhere on kitty can invite infection. Especially in the mouth which is wet and doesn't really promote rapid healing, an open sore can quickly become infected. The loss of the tooth itself isn't a dire emergency as cats can eat well actually with NO teeth, but an infection can lead to other serious problems. Gum disease is how I lost Hope. (She already had it when rescued in New Orleans after Katrina). So, do as Allie says and at least call your vet for guidance.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Jan 13th.

Answers

The only time I have seen a cat lose a tooth was from infected gums. That would be very painful and make it difficult to chew food but cats can often hide pain really well. There are other health problems that can happen due to an unhealthy mouth and teeth so I would get him in to see the vet.

Agreeing with Allie and Izzie. You should probably take him in just to be on the safe side. He might need a short round of antibiotics just to be on the safe side.