My cat likes to sit in front of the space heater and hog all the warmth. I understand why, but how can I keep him from d

Asked by Member 618624 on Feb 4th 2010 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Max

I can't read all of your question, can you repost it?

Max answered on 2/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You really can't keep him away from the space heater unless you keep him a separate room. What I'm concerned about is the possibility that he could get too close and singe his fur. One of my previous cats, who was never going to be shortlisted for a Nobel prize (she was rather dim, but I loved her anyway) actually had this happen to her twice, and it was only when she smelled her fur burning that she noticed something was wrong. Be careful. It was only her fur, not her skin, that got burned, but that was frightening enough for me. She lived to be a good age, but I kept a keen eye on her when using the space heater.

Unless, like Leila says, your kitty's fur accidentally touches the wires inside the heater and ignites, the heater will not cause any problems with your cat. I keep mine on top of my wardrobe and I believe my cats don't even know it's there as they totally ignore it. My cats, especially Delilah, love to lay on the floor vets. If you live in a colder climate, it's just natural for your kitty to see out the warmest place in the house. How about getting him a heated bed?