My cat likes to catch and eat flies. Should i be concerned, and is this safe for the cat?

There have been some flies buzzing around in our house. My cat enjoys killing them and then eating them. I don't know if i should keep letting him do this or stop him for health concerns.

Asked by Member 993659 on Jun 22nd 2010 Tagged safety, flies, eat in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

My cat Izzie runs his own extermination service. Ever since the night he grabbed a big spider off my food, chased it down and killed it, he's earned not only his Purina One but also all the Temptations treats he wants! The ONLY way you'd have to worry is if you use bug spray in your home and spray these bugs and then your cat eats them. If you don't use bug spray on the insects, it's just an added source of protein for your kitty! But yes, if you do have an over-abundance of flies, etc. in your home, you may want to check doors and windows for entry spots.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Jun 23rd.

Answers

My cat does the same thing! She is very fast and catches flies in mid air. She gets one on occasion, but has never gotten sick from it. I don't know how many flies your kitty is eating, but I wouldn't make a regular habit of it. If there are that many flies in your home, I would certainly find out why or how they are getting in in the first place.

Patches RIP 09-26-09

my cat do the same thing too...flies moth ants and even spider...but he never got sick from it tho...bt sometimes when i see him doing it i stop him sometimes but when we are sleeping its hard coz he'll do whatever just to get whatever he sees flying he even jumps on me in the middle of the night and scares the heck out of me coz me sleeping so good and quiet and all of a sudden a 13lbs cat will jump on me so yah i think its fine...the other lady who gave a comment is right too!!

Patches RIP 09-26-09 answered on 6/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer