My cat leaves behind, what looks like, dirt everywhere she has been. What is that and how do I get it off of her.

I can feel it when I pet her and everywhere she has been it is left behind. It looks like dirt but feels like sand.

Asked by Member 1000703 on Aug 15th 2010 in Home Grooming

Answers

It's possible that what looks like dirt is actually flea poop. Have you examined her for fleas? Is she scratching? Is her skin red and/or irritated looking? It's impossible for us to tell what sort of skin condition your cat might have without seeing her and what's on her skin or in her fur. Even if you do "get it off her", chances are, if it IS fleas, it will just come back. Most important is to have her examined by a vet. If you can't afford one, many shelters and rescues know of low-cost vet clinics so if you contact them, they'll put you on to one. Don't home-treat her as some of the over-the-counter flea drops can poison your kitty and you really do need to make sure first that it is fleas.

Xena

To check if it is flea dirt get a wet tissue and put some of the dirt on it. If it creates a red/pink stain then it is flea dirt (the pink/red stain is from the blood) and you need to treat her and the house for fleas.

Get either Frontline or Advantage or Revolution from your vet or local SPCA or Petsmart and follow the instructions on the pack. Avoid the cheaper flea drops at the grocert store/pet store as they have a much higher chance of hurting your cat.

Also get a spray for the carpets/bedding as they will also have fleas. DeFlea by Natural Chemistry was a really good one that I used when I got a flea infestation a couple of years ago. If you don't kill the fleas in the carpets etc they will hop on you once you put the flea meds on your cat and they will also reinfest your cat once the flea meds run out.

Xena answered on 8/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer