my cat keeps urinating on the floor and we have three boxes! why is this?

I have a 6 year old female cat named Abby and my boyfriend has a 7 year old male, Boo. I moved my cat in a few months ago. Boo chases Abby and Abby growls/hisses, so they tend to avoid each other. Because Boo was here first, it's HIS house. I have 3 litter boxes. One is in the room Boo mostly uses. So I put two more in the bedroom where my cat mainly stays. She has always had two boxes because she is quite "picky." Well, Boo uses all three boxes and doesn't cover his feces. I do what I can to constantly keep the boxes clean, but my cat tends to pee on the floor. Now she has been urinating on the bedroom floor (hardwood) and i don't know what to do to get her to stop this. She hardly ever leaves the bedroom anymore, either, because when she does, Boo chases her back into there. I wish the cats would get along and better yet, stop peeing everywhere. I am at my wits end and need any advice I can get!

Asked by Member 993018 on Jun 18th 2010 Tagged cats, behavior in Behavior & Training

Answers

Abby is obviously NOT a happy camper. If she's that unhappy and being treated that badly by Boo, then she's not going to want to use a litter box that's been used previously by him. Abby's social standing in your home right now is nill. I'm sure she's as miserable as you are. Have your BF wear Boo out with playtime. Laser pointers, feather teasers, etc. You may want to close Abby off during this intense playtime.Do it as often as possible every day, not just once. Boo needs an outlet for his energy besides chasing Abby. Don't punish Boo for chasing Abby.He will associate Abby with punishment and this will make things worse. Keep Abby closed off in "her" room with her own box, food and water. Boo will eventually find this fascinating. Let her out and him in for a while each day. While he's in and she's out, play with her, love on her, treat her, etc. You can also use Feliway in that room. You may have to keep doing this for a while. Introducing 2 adult cats to each other is VERY hard!

The only other thing I can add to the previous poster's comment is the possibility that your cat may have a urinary tract infection. When cats have UTIs, they usually urinate on hard surfaces outside of the litterbox. Try putting a large puppy pad or newspaper around the litterboxes. Maybe she will at least use those if not the box and it will be easier to clean up. I still would have her checked out for any medical problems. It could also be a behavioral issue. Best of luck.