My cat keeps peeing/pooping in the sinks and bathtubs through out the house. What do I do to prevent this?

He has been doing this since I bought him from a pet store as a kitten. We spank him, spray him with water, fill the bathtubs with an inch of water; nothing stops him. He is recently peeing in the corners of the house now. If he doesn't stop, my parents are giving him away.

Hes a male, orange and white tabby, about 3 months old, very energetic, not fixed.

We have another cat in the house if this provides any infuece to the situation.

Please help, thank you.

Asked by Member 933900 on Dec 29th 2009 Tagged peeing, pooping, litterbox, help in Behavior & Training

Answers

♥ Tasha ♥

First- do not punish your cat by spanking him or yelling at him- this is not going to help. You should get him neutered as soon as your vet will do it for you. Here is a website with suggestions that may help you:www.catinfo.org

Good luck!

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Kahlua

1. Have him neutered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Don't spray him with water, he probably likes it anyway (a game).
3. Thoroughly clean all soiled areas (bleach).

Kahlua answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Abigail

your cat is marking his teritory in those places because he smells your scent and wants to say it is his.in order to fix this you have to get him fixed or els he will start to go on your furniture.or don't let him in the bathoom

Abigail answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Sam

I know it is unusual for a kitty so young but maybe he might have a UTI. When he goes in for neutering can you have him checked for it. As one of our cats pees in the bath tub when she is feeling uncomfortable. I'm wondering if it's because it is cooler. We now feed a food that helps her with this and she hasn't done it since. It may just be a sign something is wrong. If it is a territory problem then you might need something else. Ask your vets as they may have a solution.

♥Sam answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lucy Nooner

I agree with the other posters- don't spank or punish your kitty. That will not help the situation and could make it worse.

I think Sam is on to something- your kitten needs a full medical appointment with the vet to rule out any health problems. Anytime a kitty is going potty outside the litterbox, you need to rule out a medical problem before you try a behavioral solution. If using the litterbox hurts due to a health condition, your kitten may be associating the litterbox with pain and then avoiding it. My kitty Lucy has used the sink instead of the litterbox- it's her way of telling me that she is having tummy problems and isn't feeling good.

Has your kitty seen a vet? Kittens purchased at a pet store are very likely to be ill or have medical conditions. It could be something as simple as worms but the only one who can tell you for sure is your vet. Please take your kitten to the vet!

Lucy Nooner answered on 12/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Penelope

You don't spank a cat! Are you insane?!?!
Your cat will interpret hitting in one of two ways:
1. You are an enemy to be feared. Run away or attack aggressively whenever the enemy is near.
OR
2. You are a fellow animal which likes to play fight. When bored, attack to initiate fun.
The cat will IN NO WAY associate the attack with peeing/pooping.

Peeing in corners is probably marking territory. Get him (and the other cat) fixed and try Feliway (read instructions).

Peeing/Pooping in smooth surfaces is probably from being raised in a cage. Try placing multiple cat boxes (just buy cheap storage totes) throughout the house. Try unscented litter or "Cat Attract" litter (training litter). Occasionally just pick him up an place him in a catbox. Give treats before and after. Be gentle. Do not FORCE him to stay in the box or to go in it if he freaks out.

Penelope answered on 12/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Although early neutering is gaining popularity and recognition as a medically sound practice, unfixed male cats don't usually start marking their territory until they reach sexual maturity--at least in my experience--I've never had a three month old kitten who marked. I agree with the opinion that this may be related to his coming from a pet store. Kittens usually learn their toilet manners from their mother and siblings, and pet shop cats are usually taken away from their families too early. Good breeders usually keep their kittens until they are at least three months old. My breeder tells me that kittens as old as three months sometimes still have the occasional accident. I think the little fellow is confused and traumatized--he doesn't understand how to use a litter box, and he's being punished without being taught what he needs to know. Confine him to the bathroom or another room with litter box, food, and water, and put him in the box after he eats. Never spank a kitten!

Hitting and spraying a cat destroys the bond of trust (if any) that you have with your cat. Even though the suggestion to spray a cat is a popular one (and one I've made myself although I've never done it) it's not the way to discourage a cat from doing something. Cats are very sensitive creatures and are easily insulted. If this behavior of hitting and spraying is used on them constantly, they will become anti-social and begin to strike out by clawing and biting. And, then they wind up in shelters and being put down BECAUSE they're anti-social through no fault of their own. Take your cat to the vet. If he's never been, he needs to go now. Pet store animals have more health problems than any other group of adoptable animals. He may be one of those and won't you feel bad for punishing him if he's been doing this because he's sick?