My cat keeps leaving little turds everywhere!

He is about 6 months old and has an appointment to be neutered next week. He is up to date on his shots and seems to be very healthy. Beginning a few weeks ago, it's like he doesn't finish his "business" in the litterbox. At first it was only a little piece of turd every few days, but yesterday I found 4 of them - two on the floor, one on the couch and one in my bed! It isn't messy poop, just a little piece of turd. I also have two older females, both healthy and fine.

Asked by Member 795812 on Jan 23rd 2009 Tagged poop, bathroom, turd in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

It could be that one of the older cats is making him feel insecure when he uses the litterbox and he is rushing to do his business so some poo tags along as he runs off. Do you have at least 3 boxes and are they in a secure place? Keep an eye on the others and see if they are intimidating him in any way. If he has long hair, that could also be part of the problem. My girls sometimes have a bit of it suck in their fur and I find little surprises in the hallway, on the kitchen floor, on the bed, etc. Nothing they are doing on purpose. But that could be solved by trimming the hair on their backside.

Is your cat long haried? In our house we call these pieces dingle berries! Sometimes the pieces get stuck to the fur and drop off here and there. My suggestion is cut away some of the fur by the buisness end of your cat. Hope this helps

If the other answers don't give you the solution ask the vet to check his anal glands when you take him to the vet next week. Cats have a scent gland on each side of their anus that can sometimes get full and make it difficult for the cat to pass their poop. The vet will be able to check them when he's doing the pre-neutering exam and empty them if needed.