My cat just started biting/chewing on stuff out of the blue. What causes this and how can I stop it?

Louie is 1 year old. If your hand gets near his mouth he bites it -- no growling, seems like play; but I say 'no biting' loudly each time he does it. Do cats teethe?

Asked by Member 1041982 on Jul 23rd 2011 Tagged biting, teethe in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats teeth, but not in the way we think of a human infant teething. Most of the time, their teeth fall out and they swallow them. Luckily, moms don't have to spend sleepless night rocking a crying, teething kitten! ;-) The best advice is, don't put your hand near his mouth unless you have a toy in it. It's better than putting your hand there and then yelling when he does what's coming naturally to him. Pet him on his back or butt, not on his face. Get toys that are OK for him to chew. The Web and stores are full of kitten-safe chew toys. Keep cords out of his reach or he'll chew them, too. Don't let him chew on houseplants, either as some can be poisonous. Entertain him with his own toys and he'll soon learn that it's more fun than doing stuff and gettin yelled at.