My cat jumps up on things for attention even though he knows it is wrong.

My cat loves attention. He is about 2 1/2 years old and still acts like a total kitten. In the morning, if I don't play with him constantly (and I really do mean constantly) he gets in trouble by jumping up on surfaces he knows he is not allowed on. This lasts for about 3 or 4 hours.

I discipline him by spraying him with a mister and putting him in the bathroom (where his food and litter are) for a short-ish period of time. He clearly understands these behaviors are not ok, but has not modified them. How can I get him to stop them without using treats? He has a stomach problem, so treats are not allowed right now.

Thanks for your help!

Asked by Member 1144721 on Dec 11th 2012 Tagged jumping, training, modify in Behavior & Training

Answers

Kimi (君)

It might be worthwhile to change your discipline method. Pick him up off of the out-of bounds area and say 'NO' in a strong voice, then place him on the floor. This may not work right away, but keep it constant and there's a good chance he'll come to realize that it gets him nowhere. Putting him in the bathroom means there is a slight delay between the behavior and the deterrent, so he is less likely to associate the two actions as readily.

Furthermore, make sure you're giving him attention at certain times in the day when you do have time. As for the mornings, give him as much as your comfortable with - unless he jumps on a surface, or if you're very busy maybe try and pull his attention to an interactive toy so that he can amuse himself without frustrating you!

Best of luck.

Kimi (君) answered on 12/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer